Monday, July 5, 2010

La Vie en Provence...

Aujhourd Hui... Nous sommes en Toulon...
The only takers we had to venture off the ship on this the last port of call before landing back in Barcelona was Elena...Darrelle wanted sun and company - Alex wasn't going to rock the boat wherever he ended up!! So we set off with Elena....
We were told this bridge was designed by the same person who designed 'Le Tour Eiffel' so we then had a second look but still declined to climb it....
Actually we did not take the transport to Toulon as planned but just strolled down to the little village as they had a 'marche'.. (market) until 1pm.

Elena checking out some 'fresh fish', heads 'n all....
Not quite sure that she likes it...
On our way back to the ship we spotted this ol guy leaning in to the water and talking to himself....
Intrigued, Elena went for a closer look... he was fishing with a line and a hook....
Tonight was the last night for formal photos.... so we decided to bring the small guys to dinner... they are more photogenic than us....had to cut Darrelle out of this one as she had her eyes closed...
Ah, that's better!
One last one!!!
I like this one of the five of us....
A couple at our table tonight that were from Northern Ireland.... Contrary to what we thought we have really enjoyed our dining experience and meeting different people each night... met a lot of Americans and folk from Northern Ireland...  it has been interesting and entertaining.. One night we managed to get a table 'a deux' and that was nice too....
These photos will evoke memories long after the cruise because Elena and Alex, between them must have consumed enough ice to freeze them from the inside out... they continually were dipping into the ice-container in our room and also anytime they were brought a drink...
I love it....
Tastes better than the drink it is in....
Alex loves his food and will eat almost everything but... sometimes .. quite regularly actually he will down tools and refuse to eat, not because he is full but for no other reason but that he is either too tired or too lazy to feed himself.... It usually comes out in a bit of a whine like...' Waah, I want someone to feed me...' Well he didn't say that tonight but.. our friendly waiter took it upon himself to feed Alex everytime he passed by because he know they were heading to the Kid's Club and he wanted to bring out their dessert....
Alex did not know quite what to make of it... and went along with it...
This was usually the time we were eating every night and it was lovely to watch the sun disappear into the ocean...
How quickly it used to go down....

In fact if you got distracted at all you would miss it...
Now, I did not take this picture.... but Darrelle did... She had a great time every  night meeting with her friends... It, however gave us a taste of what is to come...waiting to go to sleep but not wanting to until you know all your kids are gone to sleep before you....The ship had a curfew of 1am on all the kids under 18 unless they were involved in an activity with the teen leaders... Of course on the last night all the 'new friends' wanted to stay talking as long and as late as possible so our girl did not turn in until 1.35am.... by which time I had gotten hit in the face a few times by my book as I nodded off to sleep while trying to read to say awake.. if that makes any sense....Hmm, am not sure if I am going to like this phase.... still it will be good training for second time round a few years further down the line!!!!

Hanging out on deck....

Can't believe the last night has arrived.. the week just flew... Wish we were doing a second week, apart from the damage an extra week of haute cuisine (unlimited) would do.....
We plan to start saving again as soon as we get home ... a unanimous decision by everyone chez nous.....



3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Dear Anonymous: thanks for your comment... I really appreciated it... but: think I hit reject instead of publish and deleted it by mistake:( Sorry!

It you could send it again I would be so thankful
A

Anonymous said...

Youz all look good in 'black and white' as well as in colour. I'm not too sure about 'black and blue' however.!!!!
I'm already looking forward to your narrative as well as photographic record of the next C....... overseas family experience.

Bon Voyage is go n-éirí an bóthar libh.
A.

Catherine said...

Fab family photos but I thought you were never going to appear Adrienne!!Darrelle looks beautiful - can Avril have some of that height? Of course Elena and Alex are two cuties.Declan looks ever the proud dad and I'm sure they're going to love all of his culinery treats in the coming year!