Well, it has been year 2 of the gardening experiment....and interesting and different to last year...this year we have had peas, strawberries and broad beans that grew... corn that died... sunflowers that Jacko dug up before they got a chance to die thrive...tomato plants that looked so healthy that I was sure we were onto a winner till they went from green to yellow and then wilted:( ....and the usual that are hard to mess up.... carrots, parsnips, onions and lettuce and cabbage....
So, it has been a mixed bag so to speak...
The Good...
The good news is:
The courgettes were good... real good......
The Bad:
.The bad news is:
.. had my own potato famine this year...
Last year's success was this year's failure...This below was my entire crop of potatoes.... lesson learnt.... don't plant potatoes in pots/tubs that have no drainage holes when you live in Ireland where it rains incessantly during July.....They rotted.....
The Ugly:
... no picture for this but hands down it had to be the smell of the tubs as we emptied out the rotting potatoes....
So........
....in keeping with the sentiment of this blog...it's onward and upwards...to year 3
Looking forward to next year's successes and failures and hopefully if it is true that in order to learn you must make mistakes well I will surely be onto a winner next year....

5 comments:
Hey Adrienne, as Eileen remarked to me when we were in E....., her father would be left scratching his head with the thought of spuds being grown in buckets. Well at least you had some success. I planted a bunch of things this year only success are the Tomatoes. They're green so far but plenty of them so hopefully another few weeks will see them through. Busy enough here. Waiting on the floor guys to come in and sand and refinish some floors.
Hello to all. Talk soon. Alf.
Isn't it funny, but the things that did grow in Ireland are the things that don't grow well (unless lots of pesticide - defeats organic) and the things the didn't grow are great in Florida - we'll have to share if we ever do get desperate. How are things? C. starts school on Monday....can't believe our summer is gone, thou we are heading to the beach in 1 hour.....let's chat soon before you start school. XO
Well I guess the black refuse bags are better for growing the spuds...!!! Had a great crop last year!!
Am intrigued by the tomatoes... my plants looked so healthy... now withered and no chance of anything going to grow on it... maybe it is the climate!!!! Not enough sunshine...
Went to B........... on Monday... thought I might see if Michelle and little ones wanted to come back with me.... but they were still in Dublin at Christening.. Mam told me the boys are doing rugby camp this week so I guess that is out... was sorry I missed them tho....They were staying in Jo's... bet she is delighted with her new bulding project..
Anyway will call Michelle or text her later and maybe we can plan a picnic or something if the weather keeps up...
How are things in Boston? Is your house waaaay too quiet and have you had too much peace... ?!!!
slán go fóill
Ad
Sorry to hear about your potatoes. I'm still intrigued. I didn't have much luck this summer either - it was just way to hot and we were gone to much. Maybe next year.
Hello there.
Lovely to hear about your summer. Hear you too are having a nice summer like this side of the ocean. I love the longer days and sunshine - everything just seems so much more easy going!!
The kids look great and I notice really growing up. Must be all the ocean air and exercise they are getting!!
Keep well girl and keep up with the updates - you put me to shame!!
Mary K.
Post a Comment