A lot of time has passed and I meant to finish this a lot earlier but for some reason have not had time to get back to the computer before this..... many of our towns and hinterlands are still dealing with the fallout of the flooding and with the amount of rain that is still falling one would hope that there is not a repeat of this down the line...There has been heartbreaking stories played out on the news with regularity as people return to view their homes now that the flood waters have abated somewhat...The worst hit towns have issued pleas for assistance for these families, at present homeless, for bedding, clothes, money... It is unreal....when one is usually listening to these stories thay are always about someone else, in some other place so to watch familiar faces on the News, night after night relaying the impact of the floods on them and their homes and businesses and farms it hits home somewhat...
On a more personal note..... I am still without my car... the good news is that the insurance will cover the cost of a new engine..... the bad news is that they will probably hike my premium waaay up at my next renewal date...
While we are aware that those hardest hit are those whose homes have been destroyed and have had to uproot so close to Christmas it is also a sobering thought for Declan and his business partner John that An Táin Pub has been so badly damaged and will be closed for the busiest time of the year and well into the first few months of the New Year.....
Declan has spent many days trying to sort through the mess that has been left behind after the water began to seep into the cellar on the night of the 19th....
Inside the 'olde' part!!
John deliberating on the 'damage'!!
What a mess!!
View from outside on the street of the square.. The further down the square the higher the water.. If An Táin had been up one more place it would have been ok...it was the last premises to be flooded....
Some brave guy wading through it....
View onto main street..
Two weeks later, after a lot of pumping out of the water the place looks like this...
I cannot believe water can do this much damage....the light fittings in the cellar had been ripped out and were just hanging... The coolers had been lifted and thrown up on top of the kegs...
Last night while visiting Mam and Dad myself and Maureen took a drive around town and it was sad to drive down the square and pass all these premises, no lights on,, nobody home... a bit of a weird feeling....

11 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know first hand the damage water can do. Thinking about you at this trying time and I'm glad to see that the water is starting to recede a bit.
Oh my, haven't kept up with the news. Hoping and praying that things are getting better.
Sandy
So sorry you all have been thru this in the past months! How devastating. Will be praying for quick recovery and perserverance.
hey
how are things across the pond? i guess it feels like the pond is right outside your door!! Have yall had water near your house? I have had my house in New Orleans flooded and this one that I am in now flood. It is devastating. Let me know if there is some way I can help you
Love to y'all
Diane
Hi Ad,
I've been thinking of you a lot lately....I had to go to and from Shannon when Tony was going to US and also all the flooding in Ballinasloe and Ennis. I hope your parents or family weren't flooded.
Mary xo
Hi Adrienne
Sorry to hear the floods are not much improved and not great signs ahead, I hope things get better for you all and that the rain eases, we have had so much rain in the month of November it has surpassed all records I reckon. As you say TG your Mum and Dad had moved from Derrymullen or things would have been so much worse.
The weekend went well, the crowds were down due to the weather and probably the recession too.
Chat soon and all the very best.
Kieran
Hi all,
It looks very grim. I know you are pumping out the water but what happens next? Do the furniture and fittings have to be replaced? Will the insurance cover it? Can you be reinsured? How long will you be out of business? For people like me, in the high lying east of the country, it personalises the impact of the flood very vividly.
X Cora
Adrienne and Declan
We are so sorry to see the terrible devastation the floods have caused you in Ballinasloe and the way in which they destroyed your premises. It looks just awful and such destruction flooding can cause in hard to believe. Our thoughts are with you and hopefully one day soon you can look back at all this and feel it washed away some harder cross from your shoulders.
We are so lucky here TG we have no rivers close by so we never realise how unfortunate some people are but I think most people who have watched the news the last week feel so sorry for the people who have been hit by all of this.
I chatted Gay at the weekend and told her you were not travelling as Mam had been chatting to your Mum, Adrienne and she said you had got stuck in a flood the night before but at that stage I had no idea about An Tain being so badly hit too. There are always other times Adrienne and honestly I think Milltown is much more of an atmosphere for the music and craic.
I am going to Dublin at the weekend and hope to visit A Mary as I have not been up much this year and it would be nice to see her before the year is out.
I will sign off now so once again so sorry for you misfortune, both of you and I hope a solution is found quickly for your great loss.
Love to the little guys and Darrelle.
Best Wishes
Kieran
Hi, Adrienne
Have been thinking of ye and family during this terrible weather, must be frightening to see the devestation caused. Heard Derrymullen mentioned - are Annette's family still there? What about your parents area? Will take a long time to restore the Tain. Ennis very bad too. Was today one of your work days? How are all the children? No news here. Declan managing to get to work but lots of delays so he goes early and leaves early.
Take care
Maria
It is really terrible isn't it?
Cellar must be totally destroyed.
Tell Declan how sorry we are for him and John.
Hope your car will be ok. Take care and don't take any detours!!
Love Maureen
Hey there. God looking at those photos are devastating. I cant believe how much damage the water caused. I am so sorry that the pub was damaged so much - and coming up to the busiest time of year as well.
I just realised reading your post you have connections to Ballinasloe (why it took me so long I have no idea) but Dave has a nephew married there (same last name) I would be surprised if you have not come across some of his family over the years. Dave is the youngest of 10 (he is 41 the oldest is early 60's) there are some nieces and nephews of Dave in mid 30's not much younger than him. His brother Declan worked in the Cellar bar in Galway for years.......
Anyway hope things are getting a little better/easier for you guys over there.
Take care
.........mk
Post a Comment