Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What a washout! (continued....)

Just about an hour from where we live is our home town which has also been badly devastated by flooding since last Thursday..... While the water levels have now receded people have had their homes destroyed and businesses ruined....
In one area of the town 100 families had to be evacuated... This is the part of town where we grew up and lived for over 20 years.. I can remember as a kid various times when the river would flood and begin to 'steal' up our back garden and we would be sent out with the laundry basket to 'bring in the clothes'.... We would be wading through the water and am sure the clothes came in wetter than when they were hung out!!  I do remember bad flooding about 15 years ago when we came home to find water lapping up at the back door but luckily it did not quite 'reach' the house...And... I did not geet stuck in the flood waters that time!!!!
Never however do I remember flooding like this....thankfully Mam and Dad no longer live in this area or they too would be in alternative accomodation for the forseeable future.... Our neighbours have not been as fortunate and for some of them this is the 3rd time they have had to vacate their homes.....one can only imagine what they are going through at the moment....

These are some photos taken round the centre of town last Friday.... the local Catholic Church has been closed and people were attending Mass in the Protestant Church.... which funnily enough was quite safe from flooding as it is possibly situated on the highest point in the town....!!!

While watching news coverage of the flooding in the town the other night I was trying to work out what street they were showing...I immediately recognised it when Declan answered 'River Street'.  However Darrelle , on hearing this said 'Ha! Ha! Dad, very funny'... She initially did not believe us that the street was indeed called River Street... How ironic...  It is also ironic that one of the roads which got badly flooded near Elena's school is called..... Watery Road:)





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ad,
I've just finished reading your blog and in the middle of it the phone rang, it was my neighbour looking for Fiona to babysit. We got chatting....to make long story short, her husband had a similar experience in his car on the way home from work (Galway to Kiltimagh)and his car is written off too. Who would have thought this much flooding and devastation could happen in Ireland? Someone has a lot to answer for! We've been lucky so far here in Mayo T.G.

The kids are really growing and getting more beautiful and handsome by the minute! It's been too long....I'm looking forward to catching up in 2010.

Mary xo

Adrienne said...

Me too:)))
We have a lot of catching up to do!!
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

a little bit of this and a little bit of that...................!drive carefully.
A

Maura said...

Ad,

Thanks for all the updates. I really appreciate being kept in the loop. My thoughts are with so many of you. This flooding is so terrible and being far away in NY makes it even harder to comprehend.

Love you all.

keoghclan said...

Oh my goodness - that looks messy! When I talked to Mam last week she was mentioning about weather. Plus I read the Indo every day. How sad for everyone who is not able to get back into their homes.

That was quite the story about you and your way home and getting stuck. You were very calm and brave girl!! Suddenly the snow we get here in Toronto does not look too bad at all. I hope life has settled back to a bit normal (yesterday when I talked to mam it was still pouring - in Dublin anyway) We are having freaky warm weather here - the last day of November and not a drop of snow yet - still wearing spring/fall coats (now admittedly today it was only 3 and chilly!!!) I bet you we will be walloped soon!! My brother is just outside Clonakilty and thankfully they are safe and no floods. It is scary.

Keep up the stories - love 'em

Adrienne said...

Another one on the way... Been meaning to get to it all week!!!
Thanks for all your great comments:)
Ad