Monday, February 8, 2010

Getting involved.......

Can I really be at the stage when I can begin to contemplate that my days of being human divider and referee at Mass are coming to an end.....???  Now I can daydream, pray or people watch in peace??!!
Darrelle .. in loco parentis....
Today at Mass we were early enough to try out a different church to the one we usually attend (the 'ca-trea-dle'.).. Here at the friary, they do 'Play & Pray' a little different, in that they call the children up just before the readings and they return to the altar just before the offertory and then back to their parents...... Parents are welcome to go with them... and in our case Darrelle is more than happy to accompany Alex. He is still too young to take part in the other ones....
Elena brings up the 'white circles'!!!

Well, having enjoyed the peace I was more than surprised to see two small girls, one of them (spotlight shy) Elena walking out alone and proceeding to the back of the church after having volunteered to do the offertory procession.... No procession was ever as quick... thought the choir would have to increase tempo to keep up with these light-footed little girls... She was very proud of herself and hotfooted it back to us and we had to gently dissuade her from climbing over the seat as we were in the front seat side of aisle and to enter in a more dignified and respectful manner....
Alex decides against speaking in public....

Next thing I looked to see Alex had hotfooted it right across the altar with the Play & Pray kids and was standing right beside the priest and therefore in line for updating the congregation on what had been taking place behind the altar during their session... However he thought better of it when the priest pointed the mic at him and asked him what does 'Jesus ask you to do?' He shyly looked puzzled and dumbstruck before peeping out from behind the microphone and saying 'Mam?'... The man beside me said 'That's your lad isn't it?' so I had to own up and say 'That's my boy!!'

So my little guys are growing up.....and a whole exciting chapter lies ahead....

3 comments:

keoghclan said...

Hey Adrienne. That is so cute. It is funny to see the stages isn't it? I sometimes marvel at the changes......and I get surprised. Its almost like the come upon us in a jiffy My mam has always said to us, don't stress the annoying stages, they are just here long enough to drive you crazy and then they are replaced by another........LOVELY stage!! It is lovely to get a bit of freedom and be able to sit in mass on your own I bet? Enjoy every moment, it is so cute to hear your kid stories.............all your kids look great. Alex looks like he is growing.

Thank you so much for the comment on our blog. You are right the drive to Galway was great. The new road took about half an hour off the whole journey which was lovely. I too so wish you could make Kazapalooza - it would be a hoot. Next year it is in Florida I think. Any chance you can make it then? Take care.

I too look forward to meeting up one day.

Cheerio

Mary.

PS. Any sign of the snowdrops yet? We are going to get snow tomorrow night..........bout time (did I really say that?)

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for update. Loved the photos especially the one of Darrelle.
Maura

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have the makings of two(2)nuns and one (1) bishop there-Franciscans of course!!!!!
Ailbhe!!!