For a long time now we have been kept busy with Darrelle and her afterschool activites that the thoughts of adding on more driving and starting Elena on anything just seemed like too much... she has however been doing gymnastics for the past year and a half and this year started performing arts but we have held off on individual lessons in anything... But it is time....!!! A pressing concern of mine is to start herself and Alex swimming so I am going to look up somebody to give them individual lessons this term....
Just by chance I was in chatting to Darrelle's violin teacher and the conversation came up about her senior pupils (Darrelle & her friends), her intermediates and her juniors and beginners and I mentioned how I should be thinking of maybe starting Elena.....Danette jumped in with 'I would love to have Elena'! I was unsure whether she would be ready although she is 7 and Darrelle started when she was 6 but Danette said that she would give her a try and only do 15 minutes a lesson with her until summer....
So I left her trying to find a slot in her timetable that would suit both Danette and fit in with our already busy schedule..I broached the idea with Elena the next morning and you would think I had just handed her the moon and the stars she was sooo enthusiastic.....questions followed 'When?' 'How?' 'What?'
We had previously suggested to her that she might like to try a different instrument to Darrelle, flute, tinwhistle, concertina? but no... she wanted to do the violin with Danette like her big sister...
And so.. we have decided to give it a go... looked up Darrelle's first violin... her suzuki book and CD etc....All set!
But ....I was not about to get away that easy.... Despite starting later Elena is so much smaller that Darrelle was at 6 and Darrelle's 1/2 size violin was tooo big for Elena who measured at between an 1/8 and a 1/4....... So we had to go shopping...and bought a 1/4 size violin...
Who knows we may have a musician in the making!!!!!! Watch this space.....

2 comments:
You can see her excitement in the photos!!! I hope she enjoys it!
Hi Adrienne
Just been visiting your blog and was telling Helen one evening I was over that Elena had started the Violin. She said if I was chatting to Adrienne I would tell her pick a different instrument to Darrelle as she regrets three of them playing the same instrument so just sharing that experience with you but the final decision is yours and Elena's of course.
Chat soon and just sharing Helen's experience with you.
All the best to everyone.
Kieran
Post a Comment