Monday, January 11, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!!

Just when you thought I had all the weather posts out of the way... Here I go again!!!  What more can I say? The weather is the only topic of conversation in our part of the world at the moment  and us Irish pride ourselves on how well and regularly we discuss the weather ALL year round........!!!When I hear they have had snow in Florida something is going on!!... Global warming????  Aint nuthin 'warm' about our weather for the last while... Ok, I know it doesn't work like that but this is the worst weather we have had in many many years... People are bringing up dates like 1982... I remember that one!... 1947.. I don't remember that one.:)

With 80% of our schools not opening after the holidays last Thursday & Friday... (we were open!!) and with a severe shortage of salt and grit for the primary roads, not to mention the secondary routes our Minister for Education issued a directive last Friday that ALL primary and post-primary schools would be closed for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of this coming week due to treacherous road conditions......we were being just a little cynical and scathing down this part of the country as we have been managing farily ok and getting used to driving on icy roads but when the snow reached us today from the east and when the people giving us a lift home from town got stuck and we had to walk the last bit home I began to feel rather glad that I am not going to be venturing out tomorrow morning after all.....
As my car has once more returned from the garage and for a second time decided to refuse to start I am VERY glad that I do not have to go out tomorrow....

The danger with all this time off and being more or less confined to home is that boredom sets in...... some little people become restless... not such little people also but today ended up being a nice day......
We spent a good part of the day at the Scór competition at local level and Darrelle took part in the ballad group section....it was varied and fun and a change of scenery....
Here are two of them happily showing off as they got 2nd....
While we were inside we did not realise that the snow had arrived!!!!
Hey... I'm all for a bit of adventure...well, I used to be ..before I got all sensible and boring but this latest trend for 'walking on water' just starts me ranting....seems like everyone and his granny have been taking to 'testing' out our frozen lakes, on bikes, quads you name it and even wheelchairs!! I just keep waiting to hear of loss of life.....they say with the ground being so  hard that the water is not draining back into the lakes so there is actually a hollow underneath the frozen part of the lake and underneath... so that it gets even more dangerous as time goes by.....
Passing home this evening we stopped at our nearby lake to see that this mania had hit our own locals!!! We had to stop and I will admit that it was all very exciting.. but not enough to chance 'testing the waters' myself.... not after christmas festivities anyway!!!:(
Despite the gardaí stopping by and warning people to come in and also the civil defence patrolling... people just kept goin' back out....

Darrelle and her friend Susie stayed close enough to the edge...
Looks lovely doesn't it?  Know this is commonplace for lots of folk in other parts of the world but for us it is such a novelty.....And who did we meet then but Marie and Micheál, my faithful walking partner and fantastic childminder to Alex and Elena and who has kept walking despite the elements and minus me for the past ages:(.. Intend to rectify that soon...

Arrived home to a very sociable neighbourhood so thought if you can't beat em join 'em... and so the remanider of the day was spent outside helping the little ones to make snowmen....
Alex feels the cold so badly... I don't know how he surivied his first winter in snowy Ust-Kamenogorsk having had a November 20th delivery into this world!!? Still, thought it wouldn't be fair to have him miss any of the fun so we wrapped him up and here you can just about see his eyes!!!!
Yes, this is Alex....
Susie, making a snow angel!!!!!!
Well, I can do one of those too!!...
Darrelle putting the finishing touches to the snowman....

Here is Darrelle & Susie with the triplets!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,
Thank you for the news and photos below. I know it is has been terrible as I watch the RTE news most days online.

You are, as always, uppermost in my thoughts.

Maura

PS. Darrelle is beautiful and I love her purple. Where was Elena????

Anonymous said...

I can hear you now...At last a comment from Maria!As you know I am new to this business but it's great to read and see what you are all up to in Ennis.
Take care, Maria

Adrienne said...

Thanks... 'her ladyship!' was out organising the neighbours!!!! Sweeping driveways etc

Bit of a Thaw here today especially in Dublin.... so Batty? O'Keefe has decided we should all open... whatever is happening in Dublin decides for the rest of the country regardless!!! He did the same re closing and we were all happy to be open and able to go to school here...

what is your weather like?

Anonymous said...

Adrienne,
Freezing but school is open. I saw that on the internet that O’Keefe was opening up everything. How are you doing? You are probably looking forward to going back. How is Declan and the pub in B...........? By the way, that friggin hat will fit poor little Alex when he turns 21!! Tell Declan to get it off his head.

Maura

Adrienne said...

Maria... Aah, I knew I could rely on you.....
Delighted you are keeping up with us and will welcome your comments at any time...

Hope all well in Cold Mayo.. and that little Niall is keeping you real busy chasing him!!

Regards
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!
How weird,
How adrienne! Just carry on regardless-big zest for life there.
Bless them all.
Ah.

Anonymous said...

We have a warming trend starting tomorrow - yeah....after another night of 30 degrees tonight. Hope the warm weather reaches you guys soon...I am done with the winter! PS....where was Elena? We missed her beautiful face.

Sandy

Adrienne said...

yeah.... Me too... am ready for some warmer temperatures... Thaw has well and truly set in here....

Elena was around but was busy with the neighbours... making snowmen, sweeping driveways etc... she checked in and out...but not while I was with the camera