I could not tell you now how many days we have been in the grip of the frost and ice.. but it is at least 20 and I have great sympathy now for people for whom this is a way of life EVERY winter....and who are thinking 'What is she complaining about?'.....
I want to move to Florida... Sandy... Can we come visit?!!! Please!!
Truth is, we really should not be complaining..but it is COLD... Went outside there 10 minutes ago to clear out my car - which finally arrived back yesterday..... (finally sorted after being away since November 19th.. complete with new clutch, new engine and a mouldy smell after being waterlogged for so long... )but my fingers were too numb to type when I came back in!!!
Still my good husband is going to clean it out for me and I am going to write about how wonderful he is.... Thank you Declan for loving cars so much that you work with them and like to keep our own car looking good!!!:)) Hertz taught you well....
After arriving back home on 27th to frozen pipes and no water, and no washing machine, or dishwasher etc (Am I complaining again?! Sorry!) and after introducing my children to the 'good ol days' task of washing and drying the dishes... Darrelle grumbled 'Don't know why it was called the 'good ol' days' if ye had to do this job'. I was tempted to take her back to pre washing machine days! but drew the line there and starting filling a bag for the launderette.. But thankfully we got our water back after a few days for a short while.
So we were without car and water and as Declan was back at work from the 27th we had to amuse ourselves and stay put....so we lit the tree lights, the candles, the fire and stayed home....
What to do?
What to do?
(1) Do a puzzle?
Got Elena and Alex to sit and do some puzzles......Alex loves to do puzzles... Elena not so much...
She can do them alright but just lacks the concentration to stay at them...so I was on the sidelines cheering her on with this one....
Santa brought Alex the pirate one.... 'Can I do it again?' he always asks as he finishes it...
Dreamy girl taking a break.....
Fait Accompli...
Not one to let her small brother have the upper hand was enough to bring her back on task!!!
And they did get outside one day..... our picturesque look is gone and everything looks clear but... there is a lot of black ice everywhere!! No threat to a go-kart tho!! No ~ Declan has not a new hairstyle...... Alex got this in the post for christmas and everybody has worn it but for Declan..... it really feels good!!!!:))) Maura - what do you think? Was this who you had in mind??
(3) Take pictures of yourself?
Elena loves her big sister and this means that she likes to do what Darrelle does.... make-up, videoing, posing for pictures... don't know where they got that from cos I only like to be one side of the camera, the side that prevents me from being in them!!! We have wonderful photos of corners of presses, cutlery, windows from every conceivable angle, upside down gardens, half faces all courtesy of Elena.... Actually Dad, she may have some of your photography skills?? Just kidding.... Not too many diagonal photos anymore!!(4) Dress- up...
...as Hannah Montana
Naw! Definitely not a blonde...
(5) Meet with Friends
This was our favourite....In the midst of our isolation and to save us from our 'cabin fever' Lucy came to visit and brought her twin daughters Emily & Isabelle who are six months older than Elena...We had not seen them in over a year so were delighted to touch base with them... And in keeping with my 'Be thankful for your Husband Day I will finish by once again singing his praises!!!) Declan arrived home from work not long after they arrived and sent us off to lunch at his expense to Dromoland Castle..... (Ok ~ he had vouchers that he had to use up before end of year... it was 30th Dec... but who cares!) We had a lovely lunch... the girls had a great time and Lucy and I got to catch up on all the news... Thanks Declan...all the better as it was unexpected!
Happy 2010

2 comments:
I love all the posts with Elena dressed up, and that new bike. How cool is that? Yes, we would love to see you here, but warning....our weather is unusually cold too! We have had a record low for over 2 weeks now and may even have snow tonight! Can you believe this? More than half our flowers are gone and our A/C, part-time heater can hardly keep up. I think I will stack up on logs, in case we hit ice age!!! Ha.
Love hearing all your tales and hope the car works out this time.
Sandy
Ta, Adi.Great blog,great pictures............................making the best of an unusual WINTER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>in time we'll look back and think it was so good ................like 1947 after 3 months of it..............when the SHANNON froze and it roared at night and could be heard miles away." I REMEMBER IT WELL"!
LOVE A>
Post a Comment