Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ugly Betty???? Not!!

The battle for contact lenses continues...and escalates!!!   Last month Darrelle succumbed to the braces brigade and has been told she will have to wear them for 18 months or so... Funnily enough, that does not bother her at all..... guess because they practically all wear braces these days it is no big deal.....part of being a teenager....She only has the top braces on now and will not get braces on her bottom teeth for  about 6 months..... After the initial few days of discomfort she hasn't looked back.... Elena was disappointed she did not go for coloured bands on her braces but Darrelle wanted to go low-key.....and Alex was so excited to announce that 'Darrelle has bracelets....'
Darrelle pre-braces with Sorcha..her friend.
Posted by PicasaHere she is with her braces....
What is bothering her is the fact that she now is wearing braces AND glasses.... and she is adamant that she cannot do both......!!!! The arguments for lenses are ongoing... and go something like this.......'any article where you read about someone who says she was an ugly teenager always says 'I wore glasses and had braces......' etc. etc.  Ugly Betty is continuously referred to.... There is no point telling her she looks lovely... she does not believe us....

So.... while the lenses are in the plan..... I did not plan on just yet.... have only recently got rid of lenses myself after depending on them for 20 years..... do I give in and get them for her if it is such a big deal for her self-esteem or do I stall her a little longer......???

Now I will know if she is reading this??!!!!!!!

If so.. Darrelle ... We love you just they way you are!!

UPDATE: 
Funnily on giving Darrelle's friend Muireann a lift home from school yesterday Darrelle was on her favourite topic... 'Mam, did you know it only costs one euro a day for contact lenses....?'.. I asked Muireann (who also wears glasses) ' Are you also on a campaign to get contact lenses Muireann?'.. To which she replied..(without thinking!) 'Oh my Mam will not allow me to get contact lenses till I am 15 ... as she is an optometrist and she says your eyes are still developing and need oxygen.... etc.etc'.. Meanwhile, Darrelle is making cutthroat gestures at her from the front seat and pleading with her to stop and Muireann starts backpedalling and we are all laughing and I keep asking 'What else does the optometrist say?..!!!'   So today we have a lull in the campaign  apart from Elena saying 'If I get 10 out of 10 in my spelling test will you get contacts for Darrelle?'

The jury is still out.....the recession is ongoing... even at a euro a day....:)))

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Adrienne, what are you to do with them all, atall,atall?
We are just in from Galway where we had a nice enough time. We went to the church and lit candles and said prayers for poor Michael. It's a big worry but may turn out to be a miracle.
Hellos to all including the men- a'd.
Slán, Albie

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne

Darrelle looks so pretty staying on the fence regarding the glasses but she is a very pretty girl with or without the glasses. She is right to have the braces now Maria avoided them at her age and now has to wear them so best get it over with Darrelle.

All well here

Hope you all keep well,

Chat soon

All the best to everyone.

Kieran