I had a good reason for not being around for Darrelle's birthday last week... it was our annual weekend away with the wives & sisters of the C... Family!!! Having married into a family of 6 brothers and 4 sisters, 9 of whom are married means that there are quite a lot of sister-in-laws and years ago in an effort to allay any disgruntled feelings about the many bonding/golfing/fishing/dart tournaments/pool tournaments etc. weekends being organised by the guys we decided that us gals needed to bond also...!!! Our weekend is always in February .. However the venue does change and we have been to London, Edinburgh and this year decided to stay at home but what started out as Belfast ended up being Dublin... This was good on many fronts, not least of which was that I was able to work on the Thursday and still make it to Dublin on Thursday night.. With Belfast this would not have been an option...
Invariably we all go, some for longer than others!... I have now moved into the realm of 3 night weekends without a smidgen of guilt attached!!! (Although I did regret not being there for the birthday girl but assuaged that with a bit of retail therapy in her name!) More than one of us ended up buying makeup or getting a makeover in her honour and also many 'Schuh' shops were visited in order to bring her home the perfect pair of Converse!!!
Here we have 4 sisters-in-laws and one sister??!!
Myself & Carol who wins first prize for being the best organiser of this annual event even when it is not her turn! and if she is not careful she will end up with this task every year!!! Thanks Carol!..:)
Here is Beatrice & Carol along with Carol's younger sister, Aoife, resident in Dublin who was enlisted to help us navigate our way round Temple Bar on Night #2.!! Thanks Aoife!
Anne & Marie...before Anne donated to Martina's favourite charity!!!!!!
All the sisters-in-laws minus Kellie, who inconveniently gave birth to a cute little baby boy ~ Éanna 3 weeks previous....!!! Just kidding Kellie!!... We missed you this year and look forward to having you back next year when you will really need the break.... from two small boys!!!!
Here we have 5 sister-in-laws and ... one sister! Ok - which one is Martina...Declan's sister??
Myself & Marie....my roommate!! Sorry Marie for having the light on and reading when you wanted to sleep but sur' you managed to catch up on your sleep during the day!!! And it WAS a very good book!!!
Looking good in TGIF's on Night #3..... Olivia .. youngest C... sister and beautician by profession thankfully sat down our end of the table and while she should have been off duty managed to paint the nails of her 3 favourite sisters-in-laws... sorry only joking I meant of the 3 sitting closest to her.....Thanks Olivia!
Anne ~ just to remind you in case you have forgotten you volunteered to run the mini-marathon next June with me in support of a cause very dear to my heart......!!!! The rest of our sister-in-laws hopefully will sponser us!!!:))
The eldest & the youngest... Just kidding Marie!!
Listening to Marie telling a story across the table... Anne listening avidly... me looking quite sceptical????
Regina... Declan's 2nd youngest sister on her first night away from her beautiful 4 month old baby daughter Svea.. Thanks Regina for helping me in my search for the Kiltimagh folks in 'Up for the Match'!!
Posting this really nice picture of Bea with Marie in the hope that Bea will leave me a coomment!!!!! Sorry Bea....
Girls... looking forward to next year already..... but we need to schedule more downtime for the over 40's!!!

5 comments:
Thanks Adrienne, I was watching the blog wondering if you would put up something ha ah thought we had got away with it. It was a great wend for sure even if it did take me nearly the week to recover !!!! I did put a comment on the birdhouse story, wihich was fab, & the proud grandad was right - you could make some money on it !!! Love to all take care. B xx
What a hoot! It looks like you lads had a laugh and a half! - Being a Dub and having NEVER had a night out in Temple Bar I am jealous (alas Temple Bar did not exist when I left Dublin in the '80s!!........or else since I was a north sider I never got to go over to the south side!!) What I would do for a Pear Bulmers right now!!
You and your gang remind me of our gang here..........all Irish, Canadian, or Scottish - we have our girls weekends at least twice a year. Normally to Buffalo, NY for outlet shopping (and socializing!!) But like you mentioned we are all over 40 now and boy the bods cant do what they used to do!!
Love your updates, and love to hear all is going well. I would love to try and chat at some stage.
Lets see if we can figure it out.
mk
Well Adrienne, You look like you all had a really good time - isn't it great to be joining the group that can get away for longer than the younger gals! It won't be as easy next year now that Jacko has joined the family! I'm amazed that your menfolk allow you away as you all look so well! - only kidding!
Molly Hick?
Could that be you???:))
Wow that looks like alot of fun. I want to come too. Actually I'm sure the kids and I will be there one day Ireland was one of my favorite trips ever.
But, what a great idea!
Post a Comment