Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Amateur Harvest begins!!

It just goes to show you.... that I may have green fingers after all.!!!!.....

Curiosity eventually got the better of me and I had to find out whether anything had grown in those black refuse bags I had filled with compost way back....
And so... the crop bears fruit.... or should we say 'vegetable'!!
My little assistant was well impressed!!
Ok, next year I will probably do a lot better but won't be half as enamoured with the results... My little experiment went very well,,, and proved that without a lot of TLC the vegetables thrived and we hadn't too many casualties...apart from the cabbage taken by the white cabbage butterfly... I have learnt a lot... next year the green netting will cover the small cabbage plants.... But for now we are picking carrots, scallions, lettuce and potatoes and waiting on tomatoes and courgettes.. I found out this evening my 'beetroot' was in fact a courgette plant...!!

Next year we hope to have strawberries and a herb garden...

Even 'Doubting Thomas' was thrilled with the harvest and lavish in his praise
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Springs Landing said...

Hey, I am impressed....you actually got potatoes - enough for a dinner. My garden is doing poorly...only a few good tomatoes and no garlic or onions....maybe wrong time of the season. As you know, I also lost all my apples - don't know if I have forgiven the critter that took them yet!

Sandy

Adrienne said...

Must be beginner's luck Sandy as it certainly wasn't TLC!!!
Thanks
Adrienne

Gretchen said...

Very nice! I wish I had a graden. Maybe next year...

Can you send me your email address so I can send you an invite to my blog?
M email is bilbro (at) com cast dot net