Saturday, June 13, 2009

Today was a Fun Day Mom! wasn't it?.....Yes Elena...

Today was a Fun Day! A friend who also like me works in a tiny 2-Teacher School invited us to the official opening today @ 3pm... This time last year we had the Official Opening to our new school extension and after huge preparations, erection of marquee and Yurt, (would you believe ~ a little Kazakh touch!!) it all turned out well, despite gale force winds which threatened to take tent off across the fields and necessitated racing to nearby house site to borrow some concrete blocks to use to hold down ropes which we hoped would help keep tent grounded!!! On top of this we had torrential rain all that morning..... Weather could not have been worse that morning of June 21st!!!! Despite that things went 'swimmingly' (HA!) well and this morning I reassured Bridget that at least she would not have to battle the elements at their school opening as we have had lovely settled weather the past few weeks....
Famous last words!!! Elena & I arrived at the school for the School Mass, again held in a marquee tent hired for the celebrations.... Alex had fallen asleep enroute and Darrelle very willingly! opted to sit in the car with him while he slept and would bring him in when the mass was over!!! Mass & speeches were no sooner over when the heavens opened, and large hailstones belted onto the roof of the tent followed by thunder & lightning which seemed to be relentless.... The cutting of the ribbon had to be delayed as we all wondered whether the steel frame of the tent was going to mean that we would all be struck by lightning!!!! Thankfully it abated but it must have seemed a long time for poor Darrelle & Alex awaiting my return and sitting in the car watching the lightning and hearing the thunder right over them...... Of course they were probably in a lot safer place than we were.... I was worried that they would be scared and as soon as it was feasible I made a run for it to bring them in to the school... I needn't have worried... those two calm kids were singing away to Beyonce!!!!

Despite the unpredictable weather it WAS a fun Day.... There were refreshments galore, BBQ's, bouncy castles and slides, a magician that held the adults enthralled more than the kids and Elena's & Alex's favourite... Lily the Clown..... Elena, I found out was on first name terms with her as she says 'I remember Elena from your School Opening last year????... Elena later this evening informed me that Lily had suggested that when her birthday came round that she would come to our house ... at a price of course and no doubt Elena & herself shook on the deal!!!???

Watching for Bubbles!!!
Judging by this little girl's face I have no doubt that Alex just went through her 'for a short cut!' in his effort to 'catch' the bubble...

Elena just checking to make sure that Lily is doing everything right!!!

One satisfied carnivore.... King of the Jungle about to eat his hot dog!!!!
Yes, I know I already have had my face painted but I am on another mission.....

Even big girls look pretty with face paint... albeit it a lot more subtle.....As they say ~ Less is more...

Can this pretty girl look any prettier.....On a side note, Elena when I lay in beside her tonight as she was going to bed asked me 'Will I look like Darrelle when I am big?' ????? 'Will I be skinny like Darrelle... she is sooo lovely' I was gobsmacked... How early they are aware .... I told her she would look just like Elena... just perfect as she is......
Ok.. back to round two of queuing for Lily the Clown....
Yes... I just wanted a balloon...
Worth waiting for......
Never seem to have the 3 Colleran kiddos together.....



No comments: