Monday, March 22, 2010

Mom, there's been a salami........!!!!

Anyone who knows Elena knows that there are no half-measures..... everything has to be greeted with enthusiasm, or the opposite whatever the case may be... If there is something to be worried about the anxiety levels will be high, the questions will come hot and heavy and will continue until all worries have been eased...

Once again I neglected to post about this at the time but... better late than never.. Just like when we planned our trip to Florida and she wanted to know that the plane wouldn't turn upside down when we went 'round the corner'!! , as we planned the cruise for June she needed to be reassured that the ship would not sink...and then Haiti happened and she took a keen interest in all to do with the earthquake...I waited for the inevitable questions.....
And they came.....
'Could there be an earthquake in Ireland?.
Could there be one in Australia?
Was there ever one in Kazakhstan?
'Would there ever be one in Canada? (This stemmed from the the fact that I am planning a trip to my birthland with my sister and parents...and I can't wait!!!!!!!)She has now TOLD me I am NOT going there!!

....and when she heard that we had been to Haiti a few years back we were told more than once''You are NOT going back there again!!'

So after a lot of reassurances to an anxious little girl  she was happy to move onto the next project which was to get involved in fundraising to help the victims of the Haitian earthquake...her school had a 'Díolachán Cáca'(Cake Sale) to raise money...
Elena in her pyjamas making 'Rice Krispie Buns' before bed....
Melting Chocolate can get hot!!!
Nothing a taste of chocolate wouldn't cure!
Quality control has announced them fit for human purchase..!!!
Not long after the gaelscoil did their 'Help for Haiti' cake sale Elena was feeling a little 'off colour' one Saturday night and crawled into our bed to wait for the 'Big, Big Movie' Saturday night ritual in our house at 6.30pm......so I left her watching the news at 6 and brought Darrelle to a concert she was playing in downtown....

Next morning a very earnest Elena announced that they would have to do another cake sale, and could I help her to make more cakes and could I give her all the 50c that I had, because we were going to need lots because
'Mom, there was another eathquake, and this time it is in Chile , and we need to have another cake sale, but... it's not as bad as the one in Haiti, but it's not good because there has also been a 'Salami'......

When she finally paused for breath I asked her in as serious tone as I could muster 'What is a 'Salami'?!!' to which she replied: 'It's an earthquake under the sea and when the water all comes in to the land it is called a 'Salami'..... Off course.....!!!

3 comments:

keoghclan said...

Hey there missus. Happy belated La Le Padraig to you too!!

We had a fab week here. The kids were off school. Paddy's day was 17 degrees and bright sunshine. We took them to mass in the cathedral (and Orin was good!!) then went to Ireland Pk, then to an Irish pub for lunch and then to an Irish family afternoon in a heritage centre......finished up the night with our best friends in our place for a few drinks!!

The intentions had been for the adults to go out for a few bevvies but honest to God I dont think I was yet over the Saturday night of out drinking!!!Turning 40 is for the birds!! It takes me a few days to get over a few drinks!......

Delighted to hear you may be coming this way. I think I have your email? I will check and before the weekend will send you a link with some good hotels downtown TO. We live 15 minute drive from there and I work right downtown (in Queens Pk., - the Legislative Assembly.....kinda like Dail Eireann!!)I would love to meet up with you? When are you thinking of coming over? We are away the first 2 weeks in August otherwise should be around.

Take care lovey.

Great to see your updates as always. Kids look wonderful. We have to get them all together someday!!

Mary.

PS. I think Declan is saying in the photo- 'you have some neck going out in public looking like that you eejit!!' Now I could be wrong...............

Unknown said...

what a sweet, big hearted girl she is!

Ginny said...

She sounds so much like Daniel with the worries and such. She sure is growing up (sigh, I guess they all are)

Riley and Daniel are 15 months apart in age to answer your question. Riley is older she turned 7 today! And Daniel will be 6 in July. Much closer in age than I ever anticipated - my virtual twins.