Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy Days are here again!

As our Easter holidays draw to a close...... two long weeks that saw us start back with floods, snow, wind and rain and have ended with blue skies and high temperatures it is hard to believe that we were so busy 'doing' that we had no time to 'document'..... Of course this is not a good time as I am now beginning to write 8 hours before I have to be up and getting everyone out to school, myself included..... but.... maybe if I make a start I will get round to recounting the 'highlights' of our sojourn from school and work.......even if I start at the end of the holiday and work my way backwards....!!!!!...  I am seeing a pattern here.... my most industrious day during my week off is usually the last day before I return to work and now I see myself doing the same thing  as the holidays draw to a close...:)

Our plan today was to wait for Declan to come home from work, grab a bite to eat at Elena's favourite restaurant - Sunday Chinese buffet!!! and then head for the beach, which was going to be crowded today...However we got a better offer when Aidan & Carol asked if we would like to meet them in Coole Park..... The decision was unanimous..... so off to Coole we went....


In case you were wondering who Aidan & Carol are I think the above photo should answer your question!!!!   Both Elena & Alex, as small toddlers and going through their 'wary of strangers phase' have on more than one occasion sought refuge in Uncle Aidan's arms thinking they were with 'Daddy'!!! Mind you, they were quick to realise their mistake, much to our amusement!!!    .And before you ask  Carol & I have NOT EVER made that mistake!!!!
Aidan ~ wasn't able to give you a very good history lesson today when you asked about William Butler Yeat's connection to Coole Park so hopefully this will answer a few questions for you....gotta love the internet!!!!

Coole Park was once the home of Lady Augusta Gregory, dramatist, folklorist and co-founder of the Abbey Theatre with Edward Martyn of Tullira Castle and Nobel prize-winning poet William Butler Yeats. Coole Park, in the early 20th century, was the centre of the Irish Literary Revival. Yeats, George Bernard Shaw, John Millington Synge and Sean O' Casey all came to experience its magic. They and many others carved their initials on the Autograph Tree, an old beech still standing today. Although the house no longer stands, one can still appreciate the surroundings that originally drew so many here.


There are two trails to follow. "The Family Trail" is an easy 1.75 km walk, taking you past the deer pen, the site of the house and into the walled garden to see the Autograph Tree. The 4.5 km "Seven Woods Trail" connects the different woods made famous in poetry by W.B. Yeats. Depending on the season, you might see bluebells and violets, jays and treecreepers, red squirrels and stoats, butterflies and dragonflies, or swans and other wetland birds.


"The trees are in their autumn beauty,

The woodland paths are dry,

Under the October twilight the water

mirrors a still sky;"

W.B. Yeats "Wild Swans at Coole"




Alex trying to prise the ball away from them both!!!
Elena with Cousin Eoin....
Serious stuff!
But lots of fun - especially if you have Cousin Darragh to climb with...!!
We are proud of ourselves..and have not fallen... yet!!
Having fun with my 'cuzin'!!!


Long way to the ground......
Not anymore it's not.....
Will hang on tight this time.....!!!
... Is fun on the forest floor too....!!!
This girl is fixated on sun cream.....she who is least likely to burn......!!

Thanks Darrelle for taking all the photos.... of course it meant you managed to stay out of them all:(... I thought that was my 'game plan'....
Not short of a model or poser!!!:)
One of my favourites of 'Miss Elena' today...
Hanging out with the boys!!!

Little Miss Sunshine.....
Monkeying round......
Look at this sweet little guy's face....:)
Aidan & Carol ~ Thanks for thinking of us today... we had a great time ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pix. I had not been checking your post lately and happened to check it tonight...what timing of mine. Have a good start to your week.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting Adrienne. Good job the garden warden didn't catch youz up the tree or you'd all end up (up) the creek.You had a nice time and the brothers HITCHCOCK did confuse the little childer ,I suppose. Coole Park is a lovely place to visit, I know from experience and a great amenity into the bargain.
This is a busy week here ,so don't expect us, but we will get there before too long.D.V.
Love,A.