Sunday, April 25, 2010

Letting Go....

Continuing our Easter break....
And in the words of Percy French:...
You may talk of Columbus's sailing
Across the Atlantical Sea
But he never tried to go railing
From Ennis as far as Kilkee
You run for the train in the morning,
The excursion train starting at eight
You're there when the clock gives the warnin'
And there for an hour you'll wait
And as you're waiting in the train,
You'll hear the guard sing this refrain:

Are ye right there, Michael, are ye right?
Do you think that we'll be there before the night?
Ye've been so long in startin',
That ye couldn't say for certain'
Still ye might now, Michael,
So ye might!

We are very excited that in our little neck of the woods, after much campaigning and lobbying on the part of the locals that the 'Western Rail Corridor' has opened up again...for the first time in 34 years...  It may only have two carriages and it may take longer to go from Limerick to Galway than by car but....nevertheless our new mode of transport is very welcome....

And so... it just happened that Darrelle and her friend were invited to Sligo to visit Sinéad, a friend they met in the Gaeltacht last summer and it was the perfect opportunity for them to gain a little independence and to try out the new transport...they had to change in Galway and get a bus to Ballina and then be picked up to get to Enniscrone so it was a bit of an adventure for them....and they managed very well...
They could not wait to get on board and to get away from a seriously 'uncool' mother with her camera and two excited little siblings who kept announcing the arrival of the oncoming train.... !!!
Ah, someday she will thank me for recording all her memories
... when I am cool again!!:))

Wot ya lookin at Lena?! 
They are both taking the 'Keep behind this Line' instruction very seriously....!!!

2 comments:

keoghclan said...

Hey there missus. Its so funny, there is a programme on tele we get from the states called out of Ireland and they showed this story about the train!! (it shows highlights from the RTE news - now the presenter is an Irish lady living in the states and Anne Doyle she aint but still I love to watch weekly to get the updates!!) I laughed at the conductor singing. 22 years living away from home and still I would have to say aside from family the thing I miss the most is the Irish humour.

Good for Darrelle she got to do this with her buddy. Yes, you will be very cool again one day lovey - one day. (dont you remember your teenage years with your Mam? - OMG mine were horrendous) when I look back my Mam was in the height of menopause at the same time as I was going through my teenage years !!

Love to see your updates. Your kids look great and you sound as usual in fine form.

mk

Anonymous said...

How are you all keeping? All well here. The sports are kicking in for the summer so the weekends are busy with soccer, baseball and GAA started yesterday. I brought the two boys out to Canton (Irish Cultural Centre) for their first day of GAA on Sunday morning. They had a good time. Very funny to see the little lads with county jerseys from all over out learning how to kick a ball, hand pass etc... Ciarán is U6 and Aidan U8 I saw a little fella with An Clár on his back
Anyway good ole craic.

Anyway keep the blog coming. The train post reminded me of a picture of yourself and Gerldine Jordan down at the train station. I think you were heading off to Longford.

Anyway, keep the faith.
Slán, Alf.