Friday, September 3, 2010

Mother not needed today!!!!

Who needs a mother when you have a big sister to assist and organise you for your educational debut?!!

Since I am back fulltime now I've have a list of things/chores the kids must do before school (Monitored by me!) and after school(monitored by Declan!).. For the little ones these include opening curtains/blinds in bedroom, making bed, putting PJ's away, getting dressed and in the evening ~ changing and hanging up uniform, take out lunch boxes/drinks containers. I am trying to get them to be as independent as possible and while it would be much easier not to mention quicker to just do it oneself it should make everyone's life a lot easier in the longterm.... In Alex's case he still needs a lot of supervision and so we work alonside him and in Elena aka 'will not do it if I can get away with it''s case she needs to know that we are coming to check and insist on a proper job....Can be a PITA sometimes but so far it is working great...And the promise of 'Treat Day' at the end of the week for a 'Job well done' could just be the carrot that swings it and keeps them on track!!

Last year when minutes were precious in the morning and when it was hard to get Alex to focus on getting himself dressed and eating his breakfast without taking off to play or wander we decided to make the end of the stairs the 'Dressing Step' and he would have all his clothes there and would tend to stay-on-task a little better.. and so we are continuing with what works:

This video shows him getting dressed on the 'Dressing Step' on his first day of school and carefully assisted and organised by big sister Elena who was seemingly more excited about him going to start school than he was himself!  I have no idea why they are both whispering but maybe it had something to do with the fact that their mother was there recording every word!!!

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love this video. They are so precious! :)

Anonymous said...

Alex looks like a very happy boy going off to school and very happy to have big sister sort him out!! I was afraid he was going to go flying backwards on the Dressing step!! How do you get him to stay on the step? I can't believe he's at "Big school". Time flies. Hope you not staying up late blogging. I'm a big sis too who likes to organise her little sister:)

Adrienne said...

Was that a clue?!!!!:))))

keoghclan said...

Oh boy this is adorable! They remind me of our two as Ash gets Orin ready in the morning too. Alex is so cute, he stands their smiling, I laughed out loud when Elena was walking around him tucking in his airtex!

That is a keeper! I love they wear uniforms. Next year they are introducing that in our kids school - I can not wait. Navy pants and white air texs - will make my life much easier!!

Hope you are doing okay back to school too Mam!

mk

Anonymous said...

What a big boy he is and all the time with his big smile. I loved it!

Adrienne said...

Hi Mary...This 'helping' was definitely a 'once-off'!!
Air-tex? Never heard that word before.....We call them 'polo shirts' here in the 'Ol Emerald Isle'!!!!! You have been in Canada too long!!!!:))))))

Thanks for comment..As always great to hear from you!! School going fine for me but it's busy when you put everything together..
Hope school going well for you guys also...
Adrienne

Springs Landing said...

Alex is adorable and he keeps that great smile of his as he looks into the camera....I think he is a natural! I tried getting C. to do the outfit thing, even showed her Alex's video to see if she would get inspired, but she is more interested in finishing up her PBS shows than racing to dress up. I loved the video of both of them..Hurray to wonderful Elena for being such a great helper. I can't believe our kids are all at school....