Thursday, September 25, 2008

Look Ma! No Stabilisers......

Three days ago I drove in from school and Elena, who had been watching for me came running at speed around the corner, so excited she could barely speak! She ordered me to watch and proceeded to run to 'borrow' the bike of the little boy next door, Levijn. She could cycle without stabilisers Yaay!!

This is a big deal as Elena is known for her cautious nature, always fearing the worst is going to happen and believe to fall and get two cut knees is right up there with the 'worst that can happen'... The fallout usually lasts for days... So I found it hard to believe that she had braved it to get up on Levijn's bike and 'just take off'... And seemingly that is what she did. Way to Go Leney!

A lot of people comment on how cautious she is. (Even as a baby when she would climb up on the table she would never chance coming down by herself and would shout to be taken down.) Knowing that she listens to everyone and would have heard people say this many times I asked her one day 'do you know what 'cautious' means?.. Yes, she answered 'I am very cheesy'... For non Irish speakers, 'Cáis (pronounced Cawsh) is the Irish word for 'Cheese'. hence she deduced that she must be 'cheesy!!!!

Now we just have to conquer all her other current demons!!! Right now she is battling a fear of going to the dentist.... She has an appointment on the 8th October and I had to go in personally to the dentist as opposed to phoning so as to explain that he would have to treat her with 'Kid Gloves' as well as his other gloves off course!!!!:) Last time at one of my dental checkups I asked the dentist to have a quick look at her teeth. She was out the door like a shot... Her other current fears to be conquered are escalators ~ she can go up one but will not come down one and believe me she has tried... so we might have to leave that one aside for a while... I keep tellling her there are lots of 'moving stairs' in Disney so that she might be tempted to try.!!! Speaking of Disney, her latest concern is 'when the plane is turning it will have to go upside down' and that she will fall... Any ideas anyone.....?!!

Above is Miss Elena posing and showing her best 'pout'!!! or is it her looking 'Cheesy'!!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Adrienne,I just read your very moving and wonderful "Blog"relating to your beautiful children,our grandchildren.It is and will remain a wonderful record of the ongoing family events.It will be tacked on to the original Kazi saga-the Alex segment,which if I recall correctly profiles that co-hero of the long and challenging episode,the father Declan-one of my very favourite sons-in-law,DECLAN.Stand up and take a bow DECLAN.
Now the Disney Project will fit perfectly into the on-going family story as there's much that is imaginative and happy about the Colleran approach to family living so far-bordering on the 'artistic',I'd go so far to say. Now that the Castle is in place and no wicked witch around
to cause Elena any unnecessary angst it should be all plain sailing. Having discovered her wings/broomstick/bicycle she will throw caution to the wind and 'climb every mountain' regardlessly.
Thank you Adrienne for including Eileen and me into your "Blog" as shareholders of the ongoing tale.We are already looking forward to the next issue.
May I conclude with saying that you have a great 'writing' gift(as I always suspected) and perhaps you could do well to extend that gift/potential beyond the BLOG. God knows you read plenty fiction as a youngster-reap the rewards now .
Thanks again and keep at it.
Ole Dad.