Well, had an entire week off school and think I accomplished less than I would have if I was at school everyday....All I'm asking for is ONE day at home toute seule so that I can try to catch up on things......
One thing I had hoped to do was get to update a little on what we have been up to lately but..... just could not manage enough of time to get near the computer...
Anyway too much complaining does not make for good reading.....
Our midterm break was busy... wet... parties... family... trick or treating...lie-ins ...
A couple of weeks ago saw Danette, our violin teacher arranging a group to enter for the Late Late Toy Show on national TV...This would be the third time (and last time, according to Danette!!) to enter... the first time this group of 11 girls and one brave boy entered was three years ago and they were lucky enough to get shortlisted for audition in RTE.... That time they were all excited to be chosen for 6th place.... alas only 4 acts got to perform on the night... The following year (2008) sending in the demo was as far as they got....last year nobody even mentioned taking part and this year Danette announced after some parents approached her that it would be 'one final shot'......
Susie, one of Danette's students suggested doing something along the lines of Super Mario (who celebrates his 25th anniversary this year!!)... As soon as Ryan Tubridy announced the closing date for applications they arranged to record and send off...
All the Mario hats sitting on the piano waiting to start early one Sunday morning....
10 minutes later it was discovered that my piano was out of tune(not my fault!!!:)) - have repeatedly tried to get a certain to remain nameless piano guy to call and am still waiting...
Anyway had to pack up all the kids, all the violins and 2 large cellos and go in convoy to the next house who had a piano...
Mission accomplished! Recording was sent off and they all waited anxiously to hear if they would be chosen from the 100's of entries to go for audition in Dublin..
Yaay! They got picked so were onto the next stage.... a day out in Dublin to appear in front of the judges...
Darrelle said when comparing the two attempts in Dublin...'this time we were much better... last time we were much cuter!!! (they being 3 yrs younger!!)
We decided to have a girls' night out in Dublin... Elena also got to come...so that regardless of the outcome we would enjoy each moment
Arriving in the RTE Studios - Montrose..
Elena passing the time while the audition was going on.. playing with her DS... thought it might bring them luck if she was playing her 'Mario' game!!?
That did not last too long... so busied herself posing for photos and taking photos of others... I got to delete those!!
We had a bit of a wait for the Toy Show hopefuls... so busied ourselves celeb spotting in the waiting area and the RTE canteen.... spotted Dave Fanning & Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh....???!!!
They arrived out, happy with how they did but not so happy to hear that they had auditioned 34 acts that day and there were only .... 4 to be picked for the night....
Heading to the RTE canteen for a 'post mortem'!
Mario hopefuls without their Mario caps!!
Well, whatever the outcome we determined to enjoy our night away... Declan and Alex got to spend some quality time together at the International Rules game in Limerick.... We joined Bridget & Susie for a night in the Funky Beacon Hotel in Dublin!!
...in the elevator.....
...getting grown up...must mean I am getting old:(
Before we got to the hotel we told Elena that her bed was in the lobby...(had been there before as the hotel is situated right across the road from the eye laser clinic......!!)... We werent joking about the bed....
We had a great girls' night away... made even better by the fact that after we had dined in the hotel restaurant the teenage girls were anxious to see the X Factor so were very happy to babysit the small girl in the bedroom while Bridget and I got to have a nightcap or three in the hotel bar...
The following day before heading home we were anxious to visit my aunt Mary who lives in Dublin and who we don't get to see often enough... She was surprised but happy to have visitors and wanted to know why we were in Dublin... when we told her and that there were 34 acts and were hoping to be one of the 4 picked and asked her 'What do you think are our chances?' to which she replied in a slow deliberate voice: 'Well I would think ~ slim to none!!!
Ah isn't old age wonderful where you get to call a spade a spade!!!!
Here Elena explains to Mary about Mario and shows her how to play the DS..
In fairness to Mary, she was delighted to be proved wrong today when I rang her to tell her :
They did it...!!!!!
They are going to open the Late Late Toy Show on Friday 26th November and...
they are sooo excited..... The audition was fun in itself but to get one step further is .....
the icing on the cake

12 comments:
Yahoo!! Darrelle---Gracie is so excited for you. she has just begun violin and we would love to hear you play. Best of luck!! hugs to everyone...
diane and grace
Congratulations to one and all. I will be watching on the internet. See, never give up!!!!
Maura
Super cool and congratulations to Darrelle. Mario is big right now I saw a million of them at Halloween - I had no idea. What a fun girls weekend.
Adrienne,this is lovely and so full of good news. Great that the kids got through; I'm certainly looking forward to looking at the start of that "Christmas show"T'will be massive. Talk soon, A
And Dad... as they are opening the show... you won't have to watch right through!!:) How considerate of them... they know how much you love the Toy Show!!!!!!
We're all so thrilled for Darrelle!"
Molly Hick!!:)
Hey - that is brilliant news. The toy show from the Late Late Show was always one of the highlights of our Christmas growing up - even better I frequently watch the Late Late Show on the Internet so I will be sure to tune in on the 26th - wahoo........i I will be looking for autographs afterwards!! Jealous to hear you spent a night in Dublin - I would love a night home right now - just a night (sigh!!) Instead heading away for my 7th annual girls weekend to the states (Buffalo, NY) for shopping tomorrow - will be fun..................2 Dubs, a Kilkenny Cat, a Wexford Yellow Belly and a Galway madser - I am tired already.
Cheerio
Well done to Darrelle, her fellow musicians and teacher. Look forward to seeing them on Friday night.
Maria
Congratulations to Darrelle and all the participants! We'll be glued to the telly next Friday night and hope all
goes well.
Enjoyed meeting up during the mid-term - what would we have done during a miserable week without our excursions to Ennis!! How's the running going or did you get started?
Lu
Hi..I am thrilled for you and Darrelle re Toy Show..think of all the free stuff they will get!!!!!!
Clare
Well done to Darrelle..Tell her to give us a big smile into d camera!! I'd say we will postpone meeting till after Christmas altogether..No doubt you are busy, busy, busy..Chat ya soon...
Catherine.
We'll be glued to the box...Best of luck! Are you going to be in the audience?
Lu
Post a Comment