Not only have they swapped summer for the rainy season and therefore given us somewhat dry, sunny, maybe warm weather in April and May while subjecting us to two months of rain and dreariness in July and August we are now being greeted by unwelcome visitors in our home as a regular occurence....
....Guys with 8 legs but not the small little almost friendly spiders of our past but great big 'jump off chair/run from room/shout for help(spider murderers SOS) type of spiders.......
and before you say or should you think these guys are not cleaning their house our neighbours have them also.... and before you say/think it is the neighbourhood lots of people I have mentioned it to say 'Yes, we have them also....) Yes the fear/fight/flight scenario is alive in our house......
I shudder when I read of our friends in Florida talk about their visits of bears to their suburban neighbourhoods and look at their photos and think 'What would I do if I met a bear when out for a walk...' especially as I have been known to throw any walking partner towards a dog should one happen to 'come at us' when walking!!!! ( However I am getting better...Thank You Jacko!!)I read and look at photos of people who find snakes in their garden and I think 'Thank God we moved back to Ireland' and 'Thank God for St. Patrick....who banished them before we arrived!!!!!' Ok I know that is only a story we tell the kids every year at school when March arrives and his feastday approaches... the cold climate means snakes do not want to inhabit the 'Emerald Isle'!! Did I thank God for our climate???? Am I back where I started???!!!
We laughed when one of Darrelle's friends last year who is truly arachnophobic ran from the sitting room last year after spotting a large spider..... and thought 'Poor Girl..what's the big deal? It's only a spider!!' but it appears the last laugh is on us as we have increasingly spotted these large unwelcome visitors crawl up the wall, up across the fireplace and temporarily call a halt to whatever movie is on the screenAaagh
And I confess when I woke early this morning it did cross (..the thought..not the spider...!!!) my mind and kept me awake so I am up... it is early Sunday morning...my family is asleep....the peace..just the way I like it... and I am getting to write uninterrupted ...just the way I like it..... so 'tis an ill wind n all that.....
but....
...am thinking '...could there ever be one of those large long-legged creatures hiding under the computer table hidden in the tangle of wires..... and dust...Because yes... among the mass of wires is dust.......
..will check..after all am in my bare feet....
So folks it is official ...we have become arachnophobic in this house.....
but......
we are proactive arachnophobes.......

6 comments:
We need to have a SPIDER conversation before the week-end is out.A
Some big ones there Adrienne. Looks like Alex has things under control.
All ok here. Looks like we will be buying a new house before yr end.
More room for visitors. Sad time of the year for us. Still fairly raw 3 years on.
Will give u a buzz one of the days soon.
Love, Alf.
Yes we have them in Kerry too and ours are just as big and as plentiful around the place. We also have a girl that dreads spiders and forensically checks her room every night but doesn't want them killed so I have become very adept at catching them by the leg and out the window. What next?
L
eww, I don't think I would like that all. I deal with most bugs but spiders creep me out. I just heard we are having a infestation of fleas in our neighbors and I thought gross but fleas or spiders I think I would take the fleas.
Wow, that is a big spider. I thought Ireland didn't have snakes and bugs....was even thinking of buying real estate there before I heard you have spiders. Lol. I don't blame you. I hate all kinds of bugs maybe not lady bugs or butterflies, though looked at one lately with that strange bug like body and it creeped me out. Good luck. Heard that flea spray also kills spider, so there, you can kill two birds with one stone. No such remedy for quick bear repellent or coyote...found out that we now have two coyotes...one the size of a german shepard. Yikes XO
Sandy.....That just ain't ONE spider but one of many!!!!!!!
did I mention that it is a plague????!!!!!
thanks for the flea tip tho........
Ad
Post a Comment