Thursday, June 9, 2011

Good Friends....

To veer off family and family life for a moment and talk about friends......
I suppose I could go and find all sorts of flowery feelgood quotes to do with friends and friendship but....
.... I won't!
Without a doubt I've been (and am!)blessed with great friends and although in recent years I may not get to see them as often as I would like to I do value them deeply and look forward always to our meeting up...
Once upon a time, ..... in the last century when Darrelle was a little bitty thing (and very portable!) and I was a teacher on long summer holidays (... don't people love to rub it in!!)married to a man whose busiest season at work is during the 'loooong' summer holiday!!' Darrelle and I used to clock up a lot of miles on the clock as we set off in early July to touch base and catch up with as many good friends as possible..... although we did make many short trips so as not to do her Daddy out of quality time with his small daughter:))))  We covered a lot of counties, and a lot of  miles, did a lot of talking and a lot of laughing, dining out and dining in, reliving old memories and making new ones..... in places such as Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Dublin, Wicklow and Limerick.... and even a couple of times we got to America!!!:)) Oops forgot Kerry!!  (sorry Lu!)
In recent years however, when more little people joined us and life got very busy our visits began to peter out a little and things were not so spontaneous.....But what I love is the ability to take up where you left off as if no time has ever elapsed
So, Dad just thinking that you were spot-on in your speech at my wedding when you said about me that 'Friendships truly matter'  they do... the ones that I keep in touch with  from when I was 15 to the ones I met in college, the stint in the Gaeltacht after our first year in college, when I got my first job and spent 4 years living in Compton's Cottage, to all the others I have met since in different jobs, and of course through our two adoptions I value them all....and if my christmas card list gets longer every year so be it... it always brings the promise and the hope that we will get to touch base and may organise to 'catchup' in the coming year....

And so.... all the above came about in that I wanted to wish happy birthday to an old friend (not old... only in the sense that we know each other a LONG time!!!)
So Maura .. I know when you come from NY you have a lot of ground to cover in Ireland during your time here and that you are in great demand!! but it was lovely seeing you a few weeks ago and catching up...thank you for your very thoughtful and unnecessary gifts to the two little ones and one not so little.....
Hope your birthday is great and that Johnny and you get to go somewhere nice.....Darrelle and I  are saving for another trip to NY... although Elena says it is her turn to go... and she has to visit the American Girl Store.... Is NY ready for her???!!!
 I wonder!!!
Can you tell that Elena is pleased to see you!!
Posted by Picasa
Am presumin Alex disappeared out playing hurling..... in  his new 'Jersey' that has the county colours on!!!!  were you pleasing Alex there or Declan?  Somehow you managed to please both..
Breithlá Sona Duit....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the lovely blog about friendship and thank you for posting those photographs. It made me cry…it doesn’t take much when it comes to my friends and I realize how lucky I have been.

Miss you all.

Love
Maura