Monday, November 17, 2008

A Brother Remembered!



It is with great sadness that I write the following post....

Of course when starting this blog I pictured documenting the trivia that encompasses all our lives but life is not all about trivia and it would be wrong of me not to mention the huge void that is now apparent in our lives ~ all of us who have lost a son, brother, partner, uncle and friend.

I thought my next post would have been to post photos of our much anticipated holiday to Disney, Florida where we had planned to meet with two special families from both our first and second trip to Kazakhstan... Instead I want to pay tribute to my brother who sadly passed away on the 30th October, less than two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer and less than a month after having complained of feeling unwell.

John's death has stunned us, leaving us numb, shocked and heartbroken. We left for Disney with a grey cloud hanging over our heads having visited John in hospital the previous day just after he was told he had cancer and would have to be transferred to another hospital to start chemo. Less than a week later another phone call told me I should think of coming home as John had been told that there was nothing that could be done for him and his time with us would not be long....

Throughout his very short illness John amazed us all by his strength...While his physical strength waned he showed remarkable strength of character as he was dealt one blow after the other. Each time as the news got worse and he had to shoulder what can only be described as 'his death sentence' he shouldered it himself, asked many questions of the doctors that others wouldn't dare ask for fear of being unable to contemplate the answers and his overriding concern was for all his loved ones and how our parents could possibly deal with this the most devastating of news.

Never before has it hit home with such force that while we may think that we are in the driving seat as we live our lives we, in reality are not in control as much as we would like to think - We are indeed on a journey but none of us know where our journey through life will bring us, what we will encounter on the way or for how long our journey will last.... and that is a sobering thought! For John, in recent times he was happy to be changing course on his journey, new career, just about to start building the house he had recently got planning permission for... life was good... Sadly for John those plans would not bear fruition...


John's funeral was a fitting tribute to the great guy he was ~ For over four hours on the night of his removal we stood in our house as family, friends, neighbours came to sympathise, many in tears, expressing shock at how quickly his illness and death had evolved, many lost for words as they told us again and again that they 'did not know what to say'.... His funeral Mass the next day was equally large ~ testament to the full life he had lived in the time he had had....


We have learnt a lot about John over the past few weeks that show us he was so much more than a brother, or a son - John was many things to many people and as people listened to his lifelong friend Paul read his very moving eulogy those who knew him shed tears as they heard the John they knew and those who may not have known John personally but were there because they were connected with someone else in our family or with his girlfriend Cora, also shed tears and came away thinking 'I wish I had known him'!


While we deal with the aftermath of John's passing, with the grief that hits us in waves now that the shock has worn off, I, as are all of us thankful for many things during the final two weeks of John's life..


I am thankful:
~ for all my other siblings who insisted in calling me to come home in spite of John's insistence that I get to finish my holiday..
~ for, as a result of that phone call being able to spend many hours with John from Sunday to Thursday..
~ for my wonderful husband who, while wanting to come home remained with Darrelle, Elena and Alex in Disney so that they could finish out their holiday...
~for Darrelle who was so willing to sing at John's funeral and did a great job...
~ for the music that added so much to John's Mass, from both the choir and John's friends who played at the service and in the graveyeard - None of us will ever hear the music/lyrics of 'John O'Dreams' again without shedding a tear for John....
~ for a hospital that was less than 5 minutes from our house..
~ for the wonderful nurses who cared for John while he was in the hospital, whose compassion for him and for us went way beyond the call of duty...
~ for Cora, so long a part of John's life and who was a huge comfort to him right to the end...
~ for the privilege of being with John as he died....
~for the (rare) dry, mild weather we had for John's removal and funeral...
~ for Mum & Dad, who remained so strong and dignified in the face of such immeasurable heartbreak which, in turn helped us enormously to get through the days...
~ for the love and support that each of us gave to each other and the closeness we share as a family and maybe did not even fully realise we had until we were put to the test... For that I am truly thankful...
~ for all the people, who offered help, looking after the kids, etc willing to do anything to make things a little easier for us....
~ for the wonderful friends that I have in my life who travelled to be with us, some of them the two days and who continually sent text messages to me conveying support and concern....


All the above, and those I haven't mentioned at the risk of this being TOOOO long or may have forgotten have been a huge source of comfort to me and show that while God may not always answer your prayers the way you want Him to He sometimes works in much subtler ways and if we look a little deeper we find that yes He is listening...

But the one thing that brings me to tears without fail is something John said during his final week.....
'Now there'll only be 4.....'
'No John! there will always be 5!

This was taken in October 2003 ~ a few weeks after Elena arrived home
from Kazakhstan. John arrived unexpectedly at our house to
meet his newest niece....









The Reflection that Dad read at John's Funeral Mass
The Loom of Time

Man's life is laid in the loom of time

To a pattern he does not see,
While the weavers work and the shuttles fly
Till the dawn of eternity.
Some shuttles are filled with silver threads
And some with threads of gold,
While often but the darker hues
Are all that they may hold.

But the weaver watches with skillful eye

Each shuttle fly to and fro,
And sees the pattern so deftly wrought
As the loom moves sure and slow.
God surely planned the pattern:
Each thread, the dark and fair,
Is chosen by His master skill
And placed in the web with care.

He only knows its beauty,

And guides the shuttles which hold
The threads so unattractive,
As well as the threads of gold.
Not till each loom is silent,
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God reveal the pattern
And explain the reason why


Ar Dheis Dé a anam!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne,

Thanks for sending me the link to your blogsite.
Keep up the great work.

I read what you wrote and it is indeed both sincere and beautiful.
Love to yourself, Declan and the rest of the lovely Collerans

Brendan

Anonymous said...

Oh Adrienne, read your post on your brother - what a void and sadness, but despite this normal part of life that is so hard to accept, your brother is still there. Not only in memories, but I believe in spirit. He is the lucky one that has passed and met his Lord - paving the way to a more beautiful life.

God Bless - beautiful reflection on his life.

Sending prayers for hope and happiness.

Sandy

karen said...

Hi Adrienne
I am so sorry for your loss. My sympathies to you and your family. I am glad you got to spend time with your brother before he passed. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Best wishes
Karen

keoghclan said...

Oh God. I came here to read all about your trip of a lifetime and instead I read such sad news. No words, except I am so sorry. Life is truly unfair sometimes and it is true we are just along for the ride.

I am sitting here crying my eyes out. I lost my Dad very suddenly in Dublin in May and this is a very tough time as the loss is still so new. Something you wrote has struck me so strongly! I too was from a family of 5 and my brother who visited me in Toronto in August kept saying now there are only 4 of us, the family seems somehow incomplete.... you are right there always will be 5 but in a new normal where my Dad is with us in spirit and not body.

Please know I am so sorry for your loss and pain. You will get through this, right now all you have to do is breathe.....and take every moment as it comes.

I will come back and check your blog soon.

I wish I was closer geographically to you so I could hug you.

Adrienne said...

Hi Adrienne,

Thank you for taking the time to mail me. I really didn't expect you to. I know what you are going through. I read your blog and your very fitting and emotional tribute to John. I too am like the people you spoke about Adrienne, having read your tribute I too would have loved to have met him.

I also felt when Mum was sick that God wasn't listening never mind answering any of our prayers, but you know it will only be in the passage of time that you will realise exactly how many blessings that John and you all as a family received. You were so blessed to be with him when he died. I know it's hard, but I was with Mum when she died. It was the most traumatic heart breaking moment and yet at the same time the most treasured moment of my life. You are right, it is definitely a privilege, and it didn't happen by accident. That was a blessing. Your poor Mum and Dad ~ my heart just bled for them. It is hard for ye as siblings but my God your poor Mum & Dad. They showed such strength, strength that could only be admired. You know during the final days and the funeral you are in such shock that the reality of what is going on doesn't hit you, but when the reality kicks in, it's so hard to bear. My advice is to talk often about him, laugh as much as you can about things you did together. It helps !

You know Adrienne his journey has just taken another route, please God one in which he will always be happy. Someone said to me after Mum died "you wouldn't bring them back to put her through it again" They were right.

We were so grateful Adrienne to have been able to pay our respects to you and your family. Little did we know when we first made contact via e-mail how our lives would be entwined. It is so hard to believe that it is 2 yrs today since we had court and even harder to believe "little" Alex is turning 3. Life is really flying by, even more reason to treasure each and every moment and each and everyone in it.

You are constantly in my thoughts

Áine

Anonymous said...

Adrienne, I am sorry to hear of your brother's passing and I'm praying for you family. I pray you can receive comfort as only the Lord can give in the deepest of deep parts. He seems like he was a great guy.

Love you,
Cherilyn
from the US of A

keoghclan said...

Hi Adrienne.

I just wanted to pop by again to say hi. How are you and your family doing? Today is December 1, the official start to the holiday season, which probably brings with it a whole other set of emotions.

I hope you guys are doing okay. Thinking of you.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrienne

Just read your blog message on John's RIP and how lovely it was and to see how people have responded to your great loss of your eldest brother...

Life is so very short for some but there is a reason why all this happens and one day as your Dad's reflection says the reasons will all be revealed.

Indeed I learnt a lot I did not know about John at his funeral mass which I have to say was one of the most moving and dignified funeral services I have ever been to. It was so lovely to be filled in on the parts of John's life I did not know about. All of your family got strength from I don't know where, but you all did your last duties for John in such a dignified way that I was very proud as always to be a relation of you all.

My friend who was at the Mass commented on the reflection and how beautiful it was so I have forwarded it to her and hopefully when she uses it, it will console someone else at their time of sorrow and help them to cope with their grief. She only had one brother and lost him to cancer also in his twenties so only someone like that can understand what exactly you all are going through right now..

I do feel for you all and remember you still in my prayers and when I pray for the dead I find it so hard to realise that John is one of the three first cousins we have no longer with us..

Their suffering is over now and they would not swap places with us. So just think of John in your hour of need from now on and I'm sure he will come to your aid in a way you may not physically see but you will see your problems in a different light perhaps.

Do take care Adrienne and very best wishes to Declan and all your care..

Love Kieran.

Unknown said...

Dear Adrienne and clan,

I have just come across this now after all these hard weeks. The finality of it all is still impossible to comprehend. The name of your blog: Onward and Upward, is very appropriate coz that is exactly what is needed. I am looking forward to visiting John's grave when I am home; have been thinking of it since the day after basically - as weird as that might sound. I hope your folks are doing well as can be. Such a hard shock in your twilight years is so unjust but they have bore it (outwardly at least) with dignity and strength. Its clear now where John got all his great character. Thanks again for this. Love Paul.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that lovely post on your blog, Adrienne. It is very moving, especially the last lines.
Thinking about you all
Love Cora

Maura said...

Adrienne,

I am sitting with tears in my eyes having read your beautiful tribute to John and to all of you.

I seem to remember that beautiful reading about the Weaver from your wedding. If my memory serves me correctly you had it in your wedding booklet. I have never forgotten it and it sums up everything.

I love you dearly.

Maura